Sponsored Ad

Thread: I Got Flowers Today (a poem)

mc Guest

Default I Got Flowers Today (a poem)

I was in my Sociology class this morning and a girl was giving her presentation on Domestic Violence. As a part of her presentation, she read this poem... that moved everyone (including mself). Its very very very very very rare that I show emotion, but after this girl made her presentation & told her story (crying half the time), I just had to go forward after class & extend my respect to her, cause she has more guts than me.

This is the poem she read...

I Got Flowers Today

I got flowers today.
    It wasn't my birthday or any other special day.
    We had our first argument last night,
    And he said a lot of cruel things that really hurt me.
    I know he is sorry and didn't mean the things he said.
    Because he sent me flowers today.
    I got flowers today.
    It wasn't our anniversary any other special day.
    Last night, he threw me into a wall and started to choke me.
    It seemed like a nightmare.
    I couldn't believe it was real.
    I woke up this morning sore and bruised all over.
    I know he must be sorry.

I got flowers today,
    and it wasn't Mother's Day or any other special day.
    Last night, he beat me up again.
    And it was much worse than all the other times.
    If I leave him, what will I do?
    How will I take care of my kids?
    What about money?
    I'm afraid of him and scared to leave.
    But I know he must be sorry.

I got flowers today.
    Today was a very special day.
    It was the day of my funeral.
    Last night, he finally killed me.
    He beat me to death.
    If only I had gathered enough courage and strength to leave him,
    I would not have gotten flowers...today.

By Paulette Kelly

Copyright 1992 Paulette Kelly
    All Rights Reserved

- mc

Mybabygirl21 Guest
    Dam!

Legs4ualone Guest

Mcee...Thanks for sharing that very beautiful, but true poem with us. It is sad that this kind of thing happen everyday all over the world. Why the need for men to physically, verbally and mentally abuse women is a mystery to me. What is even sadder is that these women sit in these situations and believe that the abuse is because the man loves them. You wonder what is their concept of love. The outcome is that most of these women are either killed and if kids are involved they may be also. Women need to be strong and realize that they have to first love themselves before they are able to love others.

Peace and one love

mc Guest
    Hey... don't start bashing the guys just yet... a part of that girl's report mentioned that the police statistics of one year (don't remember which year) stated that there were more reports of women abusing men than men abusing women.

- mc

Legs4ualone Guest
    mcee baby...I am very aware that this problem is a double edge sword. But I was particularly referring to the poem you posted. The poem is about a woman who is an abusive relationship and dies of the result of it. Nuff love.

Peace and one love

mc Guest
    Awoah... mi think a war yu did wha war wid mi... cause yu know mi would black-up two a yu eye dem an sen yu dung a station a bawl.

Just kidding
    (or am I)

- mc

Legs4ualone Guest
    mcee...I thought you loved me....or is that why you are going to black me two eye dem. Mine u nuh.

Anyway all jokes aside, this is avery important topic that is always a serious one for both men and women.

Peace and one love

SLICK Guest

Domestic Violence needs to stop!

Beautiful poem........terrible situation.........tragic ending!

xnews Guest

Default nice

nice poem MC,
    is Paulette Kelly your real name?

chrismr Guest

i believe that to be stolen from a dinner napkin

warlord187 Guest
    yo ....thats some deep fucked up shit......i cant even say it's a good poem, cause for some one to be moved enough to write this is really hurtfull......could you imagine feeling like that?....shit

me have to start back de burnin

FIRE PON AH MAN DAT HIT WOMAN!...

people like dat probably have two fathers.....

Message Edited Guest

Default BUN a wife beater/murderer

Originally posted by SLICK:
    " Beautiful poem........terrible situation.........tragic ending! "

nicely put .

Fin

BabyJAAH Guest

whoa...that was sad.......that was horrible .........god damn.......

Unregistered Guest

Default don't get it

what so sad?if di fool fool gal did leave then all dat woulda never happen

likkleone Guest

Someone emailed me that poem almost a year ago to send to a friend of mine who was in an abusive relationship. I tell my girlfriends time and time again if he tries to control who or where you go out, it is just the beginning. They need to get out of the relationship.

I was dating this guy during an off period with my now husband. He would tell me who I should or shouldn't hang with, what time he wanted me in the house. And when he realized I wasn't paying him any attention he started verbal abusing me. Saying I was stupid and a "get wit," calling me a bitch any chance he got. It didn't take him to call me a bitch too many times before I stopped seeing him. But he couldn't take the hint, he actually came to where I hung out and tried to fight me. Needless to say the neighborhood guys gave him a beatdown he would never forget.

I will never condone a man or woman putting their hands on another.

Msookubit Guest

The moment I saw the title of this post I knew it was something about death. Thanks for sharing mc, more women who are actually in abusive relationships need to read that poem. Maybe that would give them the courage to leave.

mc Guest
    The ironic thing was... at the start of the girl's presentation, she showed a clip of "Whats Love Gotta Do With It" where Ike was putting down some major ass whoppage on Tina, then she stopped the tape & wrote "911" on the board & said... "Thats always the best # to dial!" So she goes off into her report, & then gave her history of abusive baby father, & I'm there waiting to hear the part where SHE dials 911... no mention of it.

So when I approached her at the end of class, I said I noticed that the first thing she put on the board was "911" so what happened in her case... she shook her head & said she never dialed.

But later on I was pondering & thought, "I guess 911 is the last thing on your mind when your ass is eing choked to death" so I guess I can forgive her for telling us to call 911, but not calling it herself.

- mc

Unregistered Guest

[QUOTE]Originally posted by likkleone
    [B]It didn't take him to call me a bitch too many times before I stopped seeing him.

yUh dUmB aSs sHoUlD hAv LeFt iM tHe fUsS TiMe Im cAlL yUh A bItCh, StUpId AsS BiTcH. TrEaT A WoMaN lIkE A BiTcH iNnA Di bEdRoOm, yUh cYaN GeTwEh wId CaLlIn hAr A BiTcH OuTtA DoOr, nOh sOh iE GoH LITTLEONE. iN dI WoRd Of ODB, bItCh wHeRe iS My mOnEy. a jOkE Mi a rUn wId yA kAwSe yUh a Mi fAvOrItE MoNi mAkInG BiTcH.........wAs tHaT 4Th GrAdE EnUfF fI OoNnU....

[QUOTE=Unregistered]
    Originally posted by likkleone
    [B]It didn't take him to call me a bitch too many times before I stopped seeing him.

yUh dUmB aSs sHoUlD hAv LeFt iM tHe fUsS TiMe Im cAlL yUh A bItCh, StUpId AsS BiTcH. TrEaT A WoMaN lIkE A BiTcH iNnA Di bEdRoOm, yUh cYaN GeTwEh wId CaLlIn hAr A BiTcH OuTtA DoOr, nOh sOh iE GoH LITTLEONE. iN dI WoRd Of ODB, bItCh wHeRe iS My mOnEy. a jOkE Mi a rUn wId yA kAwSe yUh a Mi fAvOrItE MoNi mAkInG BiTcH.........wAs tHaT 4Th GrAdE EnUfF fI OoNnU....
    L O L

I got this ina e-mail b4..............very touching!

R.I.P Squingy THE greatest -Dead or Alive-

Very good poem ...

Quote Originally Posted by Unregistered
    Originally posted by likkleone

eh? ..

@ Debo .. I was at ^^^ as well but the poem is touching ..

Members who have read this thread in the last 30 days: 0