Sponsored Ad

Thread: Gender Inequality in the Caribbean

Default Gender Inequality in the Caribbean

The main cause of gender inequality within our culture, can be blamed primarily in the ideas we have about men and women and in the way children are socialized - of course certain cultural elements play a role in shaping this structure.
    I do agree that there are real physiological differences between men and women, but do not accept the notion that such differences must inevitably lead to social inequality - in other words - a woman's biological traits should not be a genetic make-up best suited for the kitchen or housecleaning. Most young women in the Caribbean are taught what are refered to as ''traditional'' values - where a woman took on the role as cook, nurturer, cleaner etc. placing many black women in low income jobs and a higher quantity of household duties. If a women steps out of the box and place those ''traditional'' roles behind her to pursue an educational level or an income comparable to males - despite of accomplishments, some men will still label her a wutless and lazy cause she doesn't view housework or feeding a man as priority- they see her behaviours as ''unnatural'' for a woman.

2006- Women work as much as men do in terms of hours... but inequality of labour exist in some household duties - most of these women go home to cook and clean more than males usually do... and some men expect them to do so - it is ''their role as a woman'' ...

With this said..

Who believes that it is the role of a woman to complete the majority of the housework regardless of if she works as many hours as men... should her gender restrict her to certain duties?

Who agree that men benefit from gender inequality?

You may disagree with my statements above and strongly believe that women are responsible for certain duties ... why?
    Last edited by uRbaN; 03-05-2006 at 02:57 AM.
    DHRULE#811 - If you make them think negatively of you, they will never know the truth. It is like leading the enemy to drink wine - wine made of their own blood

u know the difference between equality and equal oppertunity?
    My president was black since 1967

Quote Originally Posted by dj_cannibus
    u know the difference between equality and equal oppertunity?

is this a trick question... and how does it explain my statement ?
    DHRULE#811 - If you make them think negatively of you, they will never know the truth. It is like leading the enemy to drink wine - wine made of their own blood

First let's talk about inequality in GENERAL.
    When a woman commit a crime should she be punish severely as a man?
    How about sport,should women on men get the same pay?
    Gender inequality is not a bad thing even in terms of labour.
    It has its advantages and disadvantages for both GENDER.
    Women seems to always try to point out the negatives and ignore the positives.
    The problem with this generation(where females are concern),is that they are getting lazy and lazier where houshold duties is concern.
    The white man full up your heads with a bunch a rubbish.
    To me women are just trying to find more reasons not to take care of household duites.
    If a women steps out of the box and place those ''traditional'' roles behind her to pursue an educational level or an income comparable to males - despite of accomplishments,some men will still label her a wutless and lazy cause she doesn't view housework or feeding a man as
    priority- they see her behaviours as ''unnatural'' for a woman.
    You right some men and maybe that's not the right man for you or any women in particular.
    I wouldn't go as far as saying she is wutless..IMO
    The problem is that most women especially BLACK WOMEN think getting an Education should free them up from household duties.
    That only proves to me that you didn't worth shit until you get that degree.
    "I'm educated now I'm not doing as much as I used to" I am better now" attitude.
    What's wrong with following Tradition?
    In life we all play a role.
    Men cut the lawn,take out the garbage,shovel the snow,fix the broken pipes and etc that's part of our duties.Even though most of what I mention are not daily routines but they are duties that women themselves think that they should not do if a man is around.
    Nothing is wrong with a man saying a woman duty is to cook as long as he plays his part efficiently.Therefore no complains from both parties.
    A man should not complain about I'm tired because I work this amount of hours therfore I can't fix the pipe,shovel the snow and etc.
    That goes the same for a woman too....No complaining.
    Me personally I will share household duties.
    I have no problem cooking and cleaning.
    All that being said I do believe it is the role of a woman to complete the majority of the housework regardless of if she works as many hours as men.
    You never see women complain about other inequalities they benefit from.
    But once certain criteria goes against them.
    They seems to put up a defense mechanism.
    Women never complain about the inequalities where divorce is concern.
    I'm just one of the few or many men that is willing to give a helping hand in the kitchen or household duties.
    Last edited by jabbie; 03-05-2006 at 09:34 AM.

Whether it's the Caribbean orouside of the carbbean I do believe women should embrace their tradional "roles" yes. I believe a woman can be intelligent, have a good carer, and still embrac her traditional role as well. In a relationship situation it should be give and take. For example my man will cook for me and he cooks GOOD ..... I just like taking care of him and cooking for him and stuff. House labour is divded, he hate laundry duty I hate doing dishes he like looking after me as much as I like looking after him so we do things for each other when we are together [cuz we don't live together yet, but we stay by each other] yuzimi ??

IMO that is how is should be
    ─╤╦︻ Ordem e Progresso ︻╦╤─

"They can live in my new world, or they can die in their old one."

Quote Originally Posted by jabbie
    First let's talk about inequality in GENERAL.
    When a woman commit a crime should she be punish severely as a man?
    How about sport,should women on men get the same pay?

Yes, I do agree she should

Gender inequality is not a bad thing even in terms of labour.

It effects women in many ways, more than you think. Women are discriminated against, work harder, harassed in the workplace, disrespected... just to name a few. I honestly do not think there is anything ''good'' about gender inequality in terms of labour

It has its advantages and disadvantages for both GENDER.
    Women seems to always try to point out the negatives and ignore the positives.

Would you use this ^^ same comment in terms of Race? Maybe you believe inequality between races isn't a bad thing...maybe Blacks seem to point out the negatives and ignore the positives.. I mean hey, it is just the way we are born..male, female, black white etc... catch my drift?

The problem with this generation(where females are concern),is that they are getting lazy and lazier where houshold duties is concern.

I beg to differ, women account for a large percentage of the work force and still maintain household duties, single mothers bare large burdens and women's rights changed, thus allowing women to accomplish more then before - Lazy? I think not - progressing... yes - that takes hard work buddy... ask your mother

The white man full up your heads with a bunch a rubbish.

Black women face a double jeopardy in society...Black and Female. If it was up to the ruling class of white men - we would be shaking bacon and our ass in ghettos while black men call us ''hoes''... We are the biggest threat to white males, look around you, look in the educational system, Black women are strong - it takes strength to battle ignorant black men like yourself and still rise to battle whites who expect us to stay beneath... guess the white man's rubbish didn't get to our heads as expected

To me women are just trying to find more reasons not to take care of household duites.

To me, some men don't get it that being woman doesn't mean Kitchen, cleaners, food or broom...

You right some men and maybe that's not the right man for you or any women in particular.
    I wouldn't go as far as saying she is wutless..IMO
    The problem is that most women especially BLACK WOMEN think getting an Education should free them up from household duties.

Smarten up!

That only proves to me that you didn't worth shit until you get that degree.
    "I'm educated now I'm not doing as much as I used to" I am better now" attitude.
    What's wrong with following Tradition?
    In life we all play a role.
    Men cut the lawn,take out the garbage,shovel the snow,fix the broken pipes and etc that's part of our duties.Even though most of what I mention are not daily routines but they are duties that women themselves think that they should not do if a man is around.
    Nothing is wrong with a man saying a woman duty is to cook as long as he plays his part efficiently.Therefore no complains from both parties.
    A man should not complain about I'm tired because I work this amount of hours therfore I can't fix the pipe,shovel the snow and etc.
    That goes the same for a woman too....No complaining.
    Me personally I will share household duties.
    I have no problem cooking and cleaning.
    All that being said I do believe it is the role of a woman to complete the majority of the housework regardless of if she works as many hours as men.
    You never see women complain about other inequalities they benefit from.
    But once certain criteria goes against them.
    They seems to put up a defense mechanism.
    Women never complain about the inequalities where divorce is concern.
    I'm just one of the few or many men that is willing to give a helping hand in the kitchen or household duties.
    Point taken and disagree... but - to each his or her own. I bet you will raise fine daughters to follow your beliefs and complete most of the housework regardless of how hard she worked out of the home, inorder to maintain the lifestyle of the man she settles with...
    A women should complain when discriminated against because of her sex...just as any human should complain when discriminated against due to physical differences from that of the ruling class...
    Traditions aren't always right, if it was, then it is traditional to some whites to hang blacks and burn them - think about it!
    With evolution comes change and with change, traditions evolve and hopefully to promote equality for all humans regardless of gender.

IMO.... as I stated - I do not accept the notion that biological [male/female] differences must inevitably lead to social inequality - in other words - a woman's biological traits should not be a genetic make-up best suited for the kitchen or housecleaning.
    Last edited by uRbaN; 03-05-2006 at 09:13 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by uRbaN
    Black women are strong - it takes strength to battle ignorant black men like yourself and still rise to battle whites who expect us to stay beneath...
    Ok.

Quote Originally Posted by jabbie
    O K

With evolution comes change and with change, traditions evolve and hopefully to promote equality for all humans regardless of gender.
    Great Point! I've been in the position of house wife and out there gettin that cheddar and ofcourse once I was out there certain things changed. I'm not going to say I no longer did my household duties but it was pertinent that the unit contributed. What people don't seem to understand is man and woman are suppose to compliment each other. Meaning if it's in your power to do it do it no gender roles apply.
    I DON'T BEND EASY BUDGE OR BREAK!

if she nuh want tek care of my yutes and household duties she can go and find herself a modern man(aka poppy show)..
    i am blessed

Cool

The state of women is the result of losing the evolutionary power struggle which began millions of years ago...

..and that struggle continues into the future, roles are never defined in a quest for dominance.

With this said..

Who believes that it is the role of a woman to complete the majority of the housework regardless of if she works as many hours as men... should her gender restrict her to certain duties?

nah. women can do whaeva dem wan. as a man, i would feel shame if i knew the only way the laundry, cookin, cleaning, and daily maintainance of the family an house. now, if my gyal dont work, or barely works, than i would expect she would tek the other time 2 deal wiht the family business. but if she's working on the regular, than it has 2 be at least a 50/50 spilt. that's why i tried 2 always be as indpt as possible, so i dont hav 2 depend on nobody 2 handle my business. this way, if my gyal wants 2 tek advtge of an opportunity, she dont hav 2 worry bout the house bunnin dung in her abscnece.

Who agree that men benefit from gender inequality?

agreed.