Sponsored Ad

Thread: [B] Which chunes are good for a nice warm up? [/B]

Default [B] Which chunes are good for a nice warm up? [/B]

Hello everybody!

I'm asking the big chunes for a good warm up.
    By my opinion warm up need artist like phillys dillon, norma fraser, delroy wilson, junior murvin, peter tosh, garnet silk..
    I selected my best 45 selection with the best artist and now I need help to find foundation chunes, to know more about the history of reggae!

Send me a list, inks, i'm interested a lot!

Thank you very much to all people who help me!

Big respect to all reggae collector! Blessings, One love!

George,.

You are a selector and you ask this?..thats odd lol

Bwoy! First we have Rent-a-Sound, then come bedroom DJ, then MP3 warriors, then youtube soundbwoy, now we have beg-a-selector! Whe a gwan?

I thnk tht we dn't understand my question;

I ask information for big tunes to make a good early warm, I ask for pages like roots archive, reggae collector ernie b's reggae... the history of reggae music.
    And MrEngizer, I don't anything from you and you don't know anything about me, so please shut up me nuh like mp3, i'm a reggae fan like you i'm a reggae collector and I have curiosity.
    So, i'm a likke bway who like a lot the reggae music and the people who like reggae music respond me like a bad tone.

Who remembers the first time he heard a reggae theme? the need to know more and start to find all great artists and feel the rhythm flowing through your blood...

Please don't diss me, i'm new in this world.

When ur talking bout 'big tunes for a warm up'. You are making urself sound like you have a sound or at least are a DJ. To come on a site like this and ask for a list of good warm up tunes is like asking Levi Roots how he mek his Reggae Reggae sauce! Ha! joke me a joke. Anyway cause start yu just a start. I would advise you to listen to some of the soundtapes that have been posted on here from the 80s and see which tunes got big forwards and crowd response and go from there.

Right man, thank you for the information!

beres

it is VERY strange that you should ask that... and honestly.. depending on the event's focus, warm-up chunes might be different or from different eras... but since you mentioned certain artist and the focus might be on the real foundation of things here... basically any big artist with big hits like Dennis Brown, Gregory Isaacs, Bob Marley, Alton Ellis, Errol Dunkley, Johnny Osbourne and so on... again.. strange question or maybe not well written?

Best of luck sameway

Mr E , . Easy George

give the man a break, yes the topic is strange, but so is 75% of the other topic on DHR.
    Like stated listen to the tapes from da big sounds, select the tunes you like, seek information on the artists the producers/ players of instruments.
    And take a trip down the history of this wonderful music, and at the end of the trip you'll find out the source being probably studio one and treasure isle.
    And dig deeper and you'll will know where they got the inspiration from, and how the whole soundsystem scene started.

Enjoy

i agree killermaus... i'm not so sure i would say listen to tapes and follow what a nex sound did..........and i'm not a dj.. or a sound .. but what i can tell you is how to find tunes.. i would say.. start with what you know.... and like.. the artist you like... dig deeper on that label.. an do so until u can hear the sound that label produced and know it any where. once u know a sound .......it will make following it much easier.

and at mr e... seems all sounds are mp3 warriors have you not checked the begger tread??? we were playin tunes for a laugh.. stop being evil.
    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx rsg

I'm interested for this music and I like play this music with vinyl style cause it's the foundation the oldies and I respect this music but i don't have a sound, I'm making my soundsystem and step by step I will see...
    Well, i'm asking tunes and information because the 60's and 70's are my favorite and in one future I would like take a little collection.
    I ask for page, books, information to help me to know more about how it all started, labels, producers, singers...

sorry if we don't understand me, i'm new in this world and I respect to all veterans all vinyl lovers and all people who give their lives to the reggae music!

Roots Knotty Roots: The Discography of Jamaican Music ......is a book i would like to own however its been outta print for years{good luck finding that}... it is available thru reggaefever

RKR is the most accurate, comprehensive discography of Jamaican singles by far. It is much larger and more accurate than former editions, with over 62,000 listings covering the years 1953-1986. There is also much more documentation about each record. B sides are fully described, and through descriptions of rhythms, musical origins and genres you can get a much better feel for the music itself. And of course it is a repository of matrix numbers, with over 23,000 listed, it is the best record finding tool available. RKR is fully searchable and contains a lot of information you will not find anywhere else.

i would say its a must have if you are serious about collecting. its a subscription by year....

just google search .... Roots Knotty Roots: The Discography of Jamaican Music it should be the first thing that comes up.

I would seriously recommend The Rough Guide to Reggae by Steve Barrow and Peter Dalton.

This gives a basic guide to reggae reveiwing loads of truly essential albums.

Quote Originally Posted by rocksteadygrl View Post
    Roots Knotty Roots: The Discography of Jamaican Music ......is a book i would like to own however its been outta print for years{good luck finding that}... it is available thru reggaefever
    >> http://www.reggaefever.ch/rkr/

Greetings and welcome to the board Georgekillamill. First of all nuff respect for taking a big interest in the worlds geatest music form that we on this site all love! I just wanted to make you aware of something which i don't believe has been mentioned.
    You say you are making a sound system and want advice on early warm tunes! Now having all the relevant music, whether foundation or digital or pre digital etc, does not guarantee you will know how to entertain! It's almost like feeding the information into a computer and believing that it must come out with the correct answer!! When it comes to playing foundation tunes, i believe there's a vibe you have which only comes from experience. The experience of being there from back in the day right up to now! Seeing how the tune dropped when first released! Seeing how audiences have changed over the years! Drawing on memories and things that you have felt and seen over many years of being in this business!
    Another example i can give you! Blacker Dread, Gappy Dread and Musichead played out of the same Sir Coxsone record box! Musclehead and Trevor Ranks out of Saxons record box! Babyface and Matterhorn out of King Addies record box.......etc. Now most people would have a preference over one selector from another, even though they both have the same tools!! As i said before theres no guarantees!!

Now don't misunderstand me! I'm not trying to put you off. In fact i wish you the best of luck! I just think when you come into the game at this late stage, you need to know all the variables!!
    Stay blessed rudeboy and let us know how you get on!

SO WHAT IS EARLY WARM IN A FOUNDATION DANCE?..........RUFFHOUSE HAS A POINT,IT'S ALOT EASIER IF YOU WAS AROUND 70'S....80'S AND EVEN 90'S.......

THAT SAID MI HEAR NUFF D.J'S WHO WERE AROUND DEM TIME DEH AND STILL NUH HAVE A CLUE........
    tell the truth... tell it ever... cause it what it will....becah who ever do the wrong thing..... do the wrong thing still

early warm in a foundation time for me is studio one, treasure island, trojan movement, blue beat, Upsetter, rockers, the rocksteady, ska, and reggae 60's and 70's...
    Last edited by Georgekillamill; 07-03-2013 at 05:55 AM.

Yes! Everyday i'm listening mixtapes and clash audios of waggy t, king addies, downbeat, LP, earthruler, posion dart, tek-9... for name just a few... but i asked this fi me, cause i'm in one moment that i can't stop, I have the curiosity to look to know more about this music, the biggest artists, the biggest chunes, riddims, sounds, the people who have left a strong legacy in reggae music...

Thanks for youre support ! respect and blessings!

George.. some big chunes .. a YOU can make them! right time.. right place.. simple! like Ruffhouse said... there is no right or wrong... it's about energy and feeling.

btw.. where u come from?

Spain, i come from spain

Loads happening there!!! Great place to be for sure!

Quote Originally Posted by Georgekillamill View Post
    Yes! Everyday i'm listening mixtapes and clash audios of waggy t, king addies, downbeat, LP, earthruler, posion dart, tek-9... for name just a few... but i asked this fi me, cause i'm in one moment that i can't stop, I have the curiosity to look to know more about this music, the biggest artists, the biggest chunes, riddims, sounds, the people who have left a strong legacy in reggae music...

Thanks for youre support ! respect and blessings!
    No diss intended, but if you're looking for 60's/70's foundation warm up tunes, you can forget about listenning to Tek 9 or Poison Dart clash audios..not really relevant or useful in those circumstances IMHO.

Have a look at Bass Culture, Lloyd Bradley's book. Comprehensive history of Jamaican Music pre-80's. Plenty of references in there as well.

Bless up