Sponsored Ad

Thread: Double 18 VS Horn Design

Default Double 18 VS Horn Design

Had my system in a large venue and noticed that the hard hitting sub bass from my double 18s did not travel as far and intense as it would in the Yorkville LS1208. I know the horn design amplifies the sound coming out of the box resulting in that "throw further" sound. How would I make the double 18s match up, by adding more boxes?
    "Squeeze out and dash wey like tea bag"

Large venues generally require more boxes. How many bassbins in addition to mid cabinets did you carry? If the venue sounds very hollow(reverberant), you won’t achieve a lot of sub bass unless there are a lot of people in the venue and/or using a lot of boxes. That does not mean filling the venue with a lot of bass bins with very little mid range cabinets is going to solve the problem.

Using minimum amounts of folded horns in a large venue,which is hollow (reverberant), will offer a ringing affect (more than a reflex bin). This will give many the perceptions that they are getting a lot of bass using fewer bass bins in a large venue.

Since your JBL double eighteen is supposed to offer more sub bass than your Yorkville folded horn, you may want to check your crossover settings. Neither designs are alike which means the, crossover/equaliser settings will be different as well. Bass horns are not designed to offer sub bass, which is why they are not used when sub bass amplification is needed.
    OMNIFEX

2007, Jeff Kang, Custom Audio Incorporated

Respect for the feedback Omni....The bass was there. Once you're within a certain distance, you can feel it beat hard. It's just that the intensity drops off more rapidly with distance. The "sweet spot" was ridiculous....when that far east riddim dropped in, it was a wrap.

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit 6.2 View Post
    Respect for the feedback Omni....The bass was there. Once you're within a certain distance, you can feel it beat hard. It's just that the intensity drops off more rapidly with distance. The "sweet spot" was ridiculous....when that far east riddim dropped in, it was a wrap.
    The majority of old reggae does not offer sub bass. What it offers is bass. Matters are worse when the majority speeds up the track, which shifts the bass notes higher in terms of frequencies. This is why horns are popular when you only need bass and don't require sub bass.
    OMNIFEX

Its most probably cancellation..

Cancellation from the other stack?

Yeah proper speaker placement is just as key as anything else..

Doubt it. I had two stacks along the same wall (of the venue) facing the same direction....the podium and some other stuff was between the two. They were all firing in the same direction.

I been doing some reading though....I think it's the venue size and number of stacks.

Doubt it. I had two stacks along the same wall (of the venue) facing the same direction....the podium and some other stuff was between the two. They were all firing in the same direction.I been doing some reading though....I think it's the venue size and number of stacks.
    Your arrangement sounds like the typical American DJ set up, in which all the sound is coming from one direction. As West Indian set-ups have the sound coming from different directions, you may want to try the West Indian way the next time around.
    OMNIFEX

Without elaborating. cancellation seem's deffinatly your problem. if I am correct. the yorkville is a horn. anb the j.b.l is a. b.r and as long as those two speaker are emminating. in the same space. without proper time alingment. you sure will have those issues, one speaker maybe slightly going backward while the other is going foword, due to the length of the horn. oposing the. b.r,,
    Last edited by world sound; 11-28-2012 at 02:39 PM.

Think my original statement was misleading. I didn't have the 1208's with the 728s. I had ALL 728s...I was just comparing the sound to that of the 1208s.

yeah Omni, you're right. The stacks were placed like that because of the location of the dance floor. The event was a banquet with an after-party.

Think my original statement was misleading. I didn't have the 1208's with the 728s. I had ALL 728s...I was just comparing the sound to that of the 1208s.

yeah Omni, you're right. The stacks were placed like that because of the location of the dance floor. The event was a banquet with an after-party.

If your situation was similar to the room below, you can put each column on opposite sides of the room providing you have enough speaker wire to do it. I generally carry a minimum of 100 feet of speaker wire in addition to rubber mats to place over high traffic areas.

So using the room below, you would run the wire against the wall, put a mat on top of the wire by the exit sign and, continue to run the wire against the wall until you get to the opposite side of the room.

This will give you a more balanced sound due to having one column in the front of the room and the other in the back of the room.

OMNIFEX

You can also compile both columns into one column if/when needed.
    OMNIFEX

Respect for the feedback Omni.