Sponsored Ad
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Busy Signal: Reggae Music Again

Default Busy Signal: Reggae Music Again

The reggae music gods have answered my prayers and heard my pleas. In my quest to find something that gives me hope for the future of the music and can still remind me of the better days of the music, the gods have sent me Busy Signal and his newest effort called Reggae Music Again. This album is more than solid. It borders on the side of great. Maybe in a different era, the album might not be considered to be great. But given the state that the music is in today, this album stands out the way The Harder They Come stood out as a soundtrack in 1972 and the way Catch a Fire stands out as a Wailers' Island Records debut and even more recently, the way Til Shiloh took the reggae world by storm back in 1995.

The album brings about a certain amount of nostalgia. I will give VP records a lot of credit as well for bringing forth and endorsing this effort. I think it is their best release of an album which features predominately unreleased material since VP released Sizzla's Da Real Thing back in 2002. In my opinion Kingston Town, 119, and Modern Day Slavery border on being legendary dancehall tunes that can still get a forward 20 years down the road on this Busy Signal album. Those are by far stand out tracks in my humble opinion. If you can, support this album. It is a reminder of what the music used to be, and the potential the music still has.

Respect
    "One good thing about music, when it hits you, you feel no pain."

I'll give it a 8.5/10...very solid album but with 20 tracks it starts to drag a little towards the end...best tunes for me are Sweetest Life, Reggae Music Again, and the acoustic version of Comfort Zone...big up Busy definitely worth the money

Last edited by nkanza84; 04-11-2012 at 10:03 AM.

If Busy were to keep making albums in this vein I wouldn't mind at all. He's proven he's a major, major talent. Mastered hardcore dancehall on his debut and now made very credible, excellent reggae with this one.

This is quality album with a great selection of songs. The project was done really well. Busy has shown there is not a single genre out there he can't handle.

Quote Originally Posted by dalecooper View Post
    If Busy were to keep making albums in this vein I wouldn't mind at all. He's proven he's a major, major talent. Mastered hardcore dancehall on his debut and now made very credible, excellent reggae with this one.
    EXACTLY!
    "Me read me own a scripture me nuh need nuh need no PREACHA, If you educate uself u nuh need nuh TEACHA"

eeeeh...
    just today mi hear "reggae music again" on zip and it sound rass good
    look like mi affi pree da album yah.

Also-- my rasta love tarrus riley will be dropping another album soon.
    next few weeks in Europe and then i believe in the states in june.
    "Dem ah watch, say dem ah watch. Siddung and ah wait, say dem ah wait....
    they wanna see us breakup, walk out, lose everyting we built" #FEB4

Quote Originally Posted by Linda Stay Suh View Post
    eeeeh...

pree di album it "bad bad bad bad bad"
    "Me read me own a scripture me nuh need nuh need no PREACHA, If you educate uself u nuh need nuh TEACHA"

Quote Originally Posted by Linda Stay Suh View Post
    eeeeh...

you talking about 'mecoustic'? was wondering about that.
    can't wait to hear the busy signal joint.

I'm glad that Busy has broadened his horizons, but the autotune things still annoys the hell out of me. I can't totally get into this album because of my disdain for that vocal effect. It's like robotic reggae. Can he "sing" live? I don't know. SMH.
    I think that some people are so starved for quality that they will give him an A for the effort. I liked a couple of somgs, but damnit that autotune needs to fucking GO. I'll wait for Tarrus, Beres, Etana, and Ifrica before I spend my money.

Quote Originally Posted by GENERALSLAM View Post
    I'm glad that Busy has broadened his horizons, but the autotune things still annoys the hell out of me. I can't totally get into this album because of my disdain for that vocal effect. It's like robotic reggae. Can he "sing" live? I don't know. SMH.
    I think that some people are so starved for quality that they will give him an A for the effort. I liked a couple of somgs, but damnit that autotune needs to fucking GO. I'll wait for Tarrus, Beres, Etana, and Ifrica before I spend my money.

this is what i was afraid of. he has a great singing voice without the effects. not sure why he leans on it so hard.

was looking forward to hearing the effort, but this kinda dampens my anticipation...

i nuh care how good others say it is, from you autotune out the thing it is no longer good to me...

i want to hear the artist - not a robot...

theres only autotune on a cpl tracks if i remember correctly and is mostly on the the combo with romain virgo & exco levi

not too bad considering the circumstances. I am waiting on mavado to cement his legacy with at least one concious album. But he is busy trying to cross over. Has mavodo ever cut a tune on a one drop riddim?

Quote Originally Posted by Bullet Bullet View Post
    theres only autotune on a cpl tracks if i remember correctly and is mostly on the the combo with romain virgo & exco levi
    Listen again. AUTOTUNE ALL THROUGHOUT. AUTOTUNE being used so often nowadays that some people don't even recognize it.

ok whatever u say ..... i think shane brown would disagree and he produce the album lolol

ok whatever u say ..... i think shane brown would disagree and he produce the album lolol
    SHANE KNOWS.... That AUTOTUNE is all through that album and if he says otherwise then he's a liar.

granps autotune is only in a couple songs. Busy voice is pretty decent actually whether u wanna believe or not

Anyone giving Joe Lickshot a feature gets the thumbs up from me

will definitely get this

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto Choise View Post
    granps autotune is only in a couple songs. Busy voice is pretty decent actually whether u wanna believe or not
    A "couple" is TWO...You can't count young man? And you obviously have no ear to detect vocal effects...

I'm confused. I can detect vocal effects. But what is this auto tune? Isn't it supposed to be something to fix singing off key or something and make songs sound perfect.

So how come every vocal effect is called auto tune. Shouldn't it be undetectable?

For example I always thought busy's unknown number is a good song spoiled ny the vocal effects. Is that auto tune? Or most people don't know what it is.

if u letting the vocal effect bother u missing out .. this a mad album .. begining to end
    they have been using using vocal effects for decades already get over it
    musically shane brown and them musician set the bar very high on this one .. good move

i got the album and listened to it...

the vocal alterations still grates my skin (regardless if "they have been using vocal effects for decades already", i will not get over it)

but the album is still solid...

a large part due to me loving one drop riddims

wish the sound was more organic though...

but it is an applause worthy effort...

Quote Originally Posted by HIGHGRADEMAN View Post
    if u letting the vocal effect bother u missing out .. this a mad album .. begining to end
    they have been using using vocal effects for decades already get over it
    musically shane brown and them musician set the bar very high on this one .. good move
    They have been using "vocal effects" for years...but THIS PARTICULAR vocal effect has been used in dancehall/reggae circles since about 2006 and that shit is TIRED/LAZY and I won't "get over it". Riddims are cool on the album but I won't buy it.

I let played munga "own thing" for my friend, he said that's auto tune. Is it really? If so not fooling anybody, sounds like just some effects to me, not an attempt to disguise his voice or anything

They have been using "vocal effects" for years...but THIS PARTICULAR vocal effect has been used in dancehall/reggae circles since about 2006 and that shit is TIRED/LAZY and I won't "get over it". Riddims are cool on the album but I won't buy it.
    So the songs dont sound good to u regardless of ur hate for auto tune?

Big up busy real talented youth

Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto Choise View Post
    So the songs dont sound good to u regardless of ur hate for auto tune?
    i understand (to a certain extent) wah the General saying...

for people who prefer an authentic/organic sound, yes, auto tune can turn a good song into something horrible...

i cyaan tell you the amount of songs i dash weh cause of auto tune (so i cyaan even tell you if that song is good or bad)...

the moment i hear auto tune, i am generally turned off...

i rather sift thru the pack and find the one person that keeps it organic...

however, mi still give the Busy a (fair?) listen cause in some cases it takes a keen ear to hear the auto tuning...

but with a one drop riddim, auto tune/vocal alterations should never be employed...lol
    Last edited by socrates; 04-13-2012 at 06:56 AM.

Auto tune is not only the robot voice FYI

Top ratings for this album, autotune or not, I will take it how I can get it. Yeah only Shane knows why he uses the autotune b/c Busy don't need it. But the album is the best thing to drop this year hands down. Still have it on repeat every day, going on 3 weeks now. Mad thing.

Let me be the first to tell you all that ONLY TWO songs on this album has autotune, I Shane Brown as a producer don't like the autotune effect and hardly use it on my productions. However, reggae music is in a bad place right now, so instead of trying to dis-credit this album we all should try and encourage artistes, producers, radio personalities, sound system operators etc to put more balance in our industry because the reality is REGGAE music is the root and without the root our musical tree CANNOT flourish.

Quote Originally Posted by JukeBoxxJamaica View Post
    Let me be the first to tell you all that ONLY TWO songs on this album has autotune, I Shane Brown as a producer don't like the autotune effect and hardly use it on my productions. However, reggae music is in a bad place right now, so instead of trying to dis-credit this album we all should try and encourage artistes, producers, radio personalities, sound system operators etc to put more balance in our industry because the reality is REGGAE music is the root and without the root our musical tree CANNOT flourish.

IT OBVIOUS THEM NEVER LIKE BUSY CAUSE THEM NEVER LISTEN TO THE ALBUM BOUT AUTOTUNE ON EVERY TRACK DWL ... SEET DEH IS LIKE UNU NUH KNOW SEH SHANE HAVE BUSY A DEVELOP AS A ARTIST .... WHAT HIM CANT IMPROVE ON HIM SINGING SKILLS? DWL JUST LIKE HOW MUNGA NEEDED AUTOTUNE ON EVERY SONG IN THE BEGINNING WHEN HIM TRY SING HIM NEED LESS AND LESS CAUSE HIM IMPROVE OVER THE YRS ... WORSE WHEN U HAVE PROPER GUIDANCE IN THE STUDIO LIKE BUSY DOES ... BOUT AUTOTUNE ON EVERY TRACK

Quote Originally Posted by JukeBoxxJamaica View Post
    reggae music is in a bad place right now, so instead of trying to dis-credit this album we all should try and encourage artistes, producers, radio personalities, sound system operators etc to put more balance in our industry because the reality is REGGAE music is the root and without the root our musical tree CANNOT flourish.

so do you think auto tune will move reggae music to a more right place?...no diss or dis-credit, just a question from a reggae fan...

i still think the album is solid, even though i don't like auto tune...

Quote Originally Posted by socrates View Post
    so do you think auto tune will move reggae music to a more right place?...no diss or dis-credit, just a question from a reggae fan...

i still think the album is solid, even though i don't like auto tune...
    if only 2 songs on the album have autotune as compared to when busy used it on everysong thats not progress to you or development as an artist? isnt that moving to the more organic sound that you and general are bawling for ....

if only 2 songs on the album have autotune as compared to when busy used it on everysong thats not progress to you or development as an artist? isnt that moving to the more organic sound that you and general are bawling for ....
    not really...cause music can be done without auto tune...

but i guess if you are counting the number of times it used then a reduction in its use is progress...

in my opinion, if it is not needed then one use is one use too many...

so here is the question that forms the basis of my position regarding this album: did busy/shane need to use auto tune on this album?

i don't think so...

Quote Originally Posted by badgyalsittn View Post
    you talking about 'mecoustic'? was wondering about that.
    can't wait to hear the busy signal joint.
    yes ma'am

Quote Originally Posted by socrates View Post
    not really...cause music can be done without auto tune...

but i guess if you are counting the number of times it used then a reduction in its use is progress...

in my opinion, if it is not needed then one use is one use too many...

so here is the question that forms the basis of my position regarding this album: did busy/shane need to use auto tune on this album?

i don't think so...

ok now youre just disagreeing just as to not look foolish from before .... if the artist is off key and the auto tune makes it sound better why not use it? youre telling me if u produce a track and the artist was off key in a few places u wouldnt use it to make it sound better? ... you would just leave the off key part in the song just to not use autotune? fuck outta here lol

even if them use it for style only whats the problem its on 2 tracks out of 16 lol so skip those 2 tracks n keep it moving since it bother u so much DWL
    Last edited by Bullet Bullet; 04-13-2012 at 08:59 AM.

thanks for the rundown fellas

bun a fiya pon autotune...i does not like it.
    but if this is solid like some say, i'd like to hear it.

ok now youre just disagreeing just as to not look foolish from before .... if the artist is off key and the auto tune makes it sound better why not use it? youre telling me if u produce a track and the artist was off key in a few places u wouldnt use it to make it sound better? ... you would just leave the off key part in the song just to not use autotune? fuck outta here lol

even if them use it for style only whats the problem its on 2 tracks out of 16 lol so skip those 2 tracks n keep it moving since it bother u so much DWL
    what about singing a diff song...b/c if u sound off key like DAT den that song isn't for u. OR if the autotune is SO DAMN RECOGNIZABLE, den that song isn't for u.
    what dem use to do b4 auto tune?

come on bullet.

I am also not a big fan of too much autotune and he does use it all over this album. People are getting confused what it even is. Autotune is a vocal processor that makes you stay on pitch, but you can use different amounts of it, from a subtle effect that is barely detectable, to the "robot voice" (which is really just autotune cranked to the max). Since human voices are never perfectly on pitch and there's a lot of wavering between notes, maxing out autotune like that creates the robot effect. It's pretty much standard in pop music today to lightly autotune everything and then bring in the robot voice on just certain tracks as a modern-day equivalent to the vocoder of the 70s and early 80s (like Zapp, Herbie Hancock, etc.).

Now if you think Busy isn't using autotune all over this CD, you're mistaken. The full-on robot voice is minimal, but to my ears it sounds like there's some moderate autotune on most tracks.

However - the songwriting is really good, the riddims are really good, the melodies are great, and most of the time you can hear Busy's natural voice through the processing. So I don't mind it too much. But I'd love to hear him do an album without it, because I don't think he needs it. He's done plenty of natural voice tracks (especially earlier in his career) and he clearly has a sense of pitch.