Sponsored Ad

Thread: your favorite techniques on the decks?

Default your favorite techniques on the decks?

What are your favorite things to do when you are mixing tracks live or when you are recording mix tapes/cds/mp3s within in genre of Reggae and dancehall?
    I am trying to think of ways to make my mixes more interesting.
    I mix with vinyl, cds, and mp3s but i am not really up on the serato programs yet and people are doing amazing things never thought possible with that format but for now i have been working on looping being my mixer and denon cd decks allow for that and it is something that really helps make interesting edits when i spin.
    cutting and scratching are always great effects to add to the mix and of course blending and beat matching.

you should post a mix.

I like to cut & scratch

I like to press the stop button on a tech and drop the next tune.

Quote Originally Posted by MELLOHYPE View Post
    you should post a mix.
    yeah i will. give me some time i will up loaded one of mt new mixes

http://www.sendspace.com/file/wfjbbo

I like to loop in the new track, blend and transition. This is a live recording of a concert warmup set from last night. Still getting used to the new ddjs-s1, but its a well sweet controller.

Quote Originally Posted by xacto View Post
    http://www.sendspace.com/file/wfjbbo

I like to loop in the new track, blend and transition. This is a live recording of a concert warmup set from last night. Still getting used to the new ddjs-s1, but its a well sweet controller.
    Xacto! Have you used any other controllers? If so what your opinion, pros and cons...

I grew up in the hardcore environment so the whole mix tape or, social club type of playing reggae music is not my cup of tea.
    OMNIFEX

2007, Jeff Kang, Custom Audio Incorporated

Quote Originally Posted by EZE-954 View Post
    Xacto! Have you used any other controllers? If so what your opinion, pros and cons...
    I had a NS6 for a little while and really liked a lot about it. The dealbreaker was when I actually played out in public. There are no dedicated VU meters for the 4 channels. You can hold the Cue button for 2 sec on the channel and the master VU meter will display the channel level but what a pain in the arse. Also I don't like the headphone level knobs on the front.

Traded it for the DDJ-S1. The Pioneer layout is great and feels roomy. It has an aux in for the sampler as well as mic in.

Ive used a Denon HC4500 for the last several years with SSL in internal mode with an external mixer. Moving to Itch was painless.

Quote Originally Posted by OMNIFEX View Post
    I grew up in the hardcore environment so the whole mix tape or, social club type of playing reggae music is not my cup of tea.
    how do you play your caribbean based music then omnifex? are you more of the sound system type from the 70s/80s type thing like saxon sound system or david rodigan? i respect the old sound system style it made great strides in creativity for current day music

Reading the crowd and having various transitions (paces) throughout the night. That would fall into the late 80's to early 90's style of playing. It is not pre-planned like making a mix tape or playing the top hits only in a social club.

It is very spontaneous.
    OMNIFEX

Reading the crowd and having various transitions (paces) throughout the night. That would fall into the late 80's to early 90's style of playing. It is not pre-planned like making a mix tape or playing the top hits only in a social club.

It is very spontaneous.
    I grew up with this ethic as well and i started in the mid 90s. i think mixtape studio creations should of course be planned out but live is a different deal. but so often DJS now are strictly top 40, i think to myself they do not even need someone on the decks they could just play a ipod and i have seen venues who do just that. depressing

i don't really plan either of the two...i press record and i play music from a select genre...the only planning that takes place is collecting music and analyzing it in serato.

flippin doubles....reminds me of dj red alert back in the days

Dj Red Alert was always a little sloppy though. No disrespect as it was all live in the mix and all but Funk Flex really had those doubles locked. Even the new jams he could flip. Is he still playing hot 97...Must be.

red alert is more old school he is on of the first. but even funk flex is sloppy when compared to some of the flawless battle DJS. but both red alert and funk flex have style and that is what makes them good. yeah i think funk flex is still with hot 97 last i heard i havent been to NYC for awhile but from what i heard him do was on internet broadcasts

Quote Originally Posted by LBURNERS View Post
    Dj Red Alert was always a little sloppy though. No disrespect as it was all live in the mix and all but Funk Flex really had those doubles locked. Even the new jams he could flip. Is he still playing hot 97...Must be.
    +1 FOR THIS...
    Web: www.blackicemovementz.blogspot​.com
    Pin: 21C8C93F | Follow me on Twitter @DTHUSTLA
    use a smaller image

funk flex is NOT a great dj...he's a personality.

Q-BERT is a fucking WICKED dj son

i've never seen someone more skilled than that dude..he is the cut/scratch D.J. ARCHTYPE.

give me an inkling of his skills...truss me..

i can cut/scratch/blend but nowhere NEAR as good as he can.

i've never seen someone more skilled than that dude..he is the cut/scratch D.J. ARCHTYPE.

qbert is the man when it comes to scratching. i liked his earlier work though i dont know if you ever heard his mixtape demolition pumpkin squeeze? - http://youtu.be/i9kYUhd7e6Y
    and wave twisters was a great project from isp as well.
    but after awhile it got so technical and i get board watching someone scratch to the same beat for 45 mins straight. regardless nothing but respect for qbert he is still creating new techniques.

Q-BERT PASSED THE REALM OF DJING 2 DECADES AGO... BERT IS IN A CLASS BY HIMSELF... NOONE ELSE HAS BEEN BANNED FROM BATTLE COMPETITION...
    use a smaller image

It is very spontaneous.
    I can't go into a dance and have a set of tunes that I want to play, I have to read how the crowd is feeling the tracks that i play and then i play accordingly.
    I have been out and see man with CD's setting them out in different riddims and as to how he normally plays and not even looking at the crowd, needless to say he flopped

Quote Originally Posted by T Squad54 View Post
    I can't go into a dance and have a set of tunes that I want to play, I have to read how the crowd is feeling the tracks that i play and then i play accordingly.I have been out and see man with CD's setting them out in different riddims and as to how he normally plays and not even looking at the crowd, needless to say he flopped
    We are from the era when man would get ridiculed to create a play list.
    OMNIFEX

i always thought playlists when spinning for a live crowd was rather redundant. i mean just pop in a mix cd and save your money hiring a DJ if thats the case.
    things go full circle and the talented and the creative artistic people will get there turn again.
    Last edited by dave6; 04-12-2012 at 06:54 AM.

i began in the mid 90s and the same rule applied to most selectors then as well

Quote Originally Posted by OMNIFEX
    So where do you see someone talking about selecting from a playlist?

A mixtape is not a live performance and should be premeditated, calulated.

Live DJing is more spontanious, but I don't read anyone saying they play from a playlist.

I usually build a short list of tunes I want to showcase for the night, which may or may not get a draw depending on the vibes of the event.

Just seems like a lot of preaching to the choir business.

Quote Originally Posted by xacto View Post
    So where do you see someone talking about selecting from a playlist?A mixtape is not a live performance and should be premeditated, calulated.Live DJing is more spontanious, but I don't read anyone saying they play from a playlist.I usually build a short list of tunes I want to showcase for the night, which may or may not get a draw depending on the vibes of the event. Just seems like a lot of preaching to the choir business.
    It’s not about what a few are mentioning on the forum. It is about literally watching someone playing off a play list. Such incidents occur in live events, which is no different than someone making a mix tape. As I mentioned I grew up around the hardcore environment and don't fancy the social club type of events as far as Reggae Music is concerned.
    OMNIFEX

Yes Omni nuff so called selectas now a days already know what they are going to play for the night whether or not it moves the crowd.
    They just play the tunes and don't even look at the crowd all night.

The art of playing out these days has lost its edge. A man with a laptop IMHO is not a sound. If you don't have you own equipment and can go string up in a dance you can't say you have a sound. Now a days I only do big poeple dances and I select when and where I play.

Yes Omni nuff so called selectas now a days already know what they are going to play for the night whether or not it moves the crowd.

The art of playing out these days has lost its edge. A man with a laptop IMHO is not a sound. If you don't have you own equipment and can go string up in a dance you can't say you have a sound. Now a days I only do big poeple dances and I select when and where I play.
    +100 FOR THIS POST...
    use a smaller image

qbert came to Jamaica and "flopped" at green synergy
    qbert is a true turntablist while the crowd wanted to hear music with selector bawling out "who dont wear them friend clothes put up unu han", the people just stood and watched him like he was an alien or something
    promoters fail to read the crowd

Quote Originally Posted by James Swizzle View Post
    qbert came to Jamaica and "flopped" at green synergy
    qbert is a true turntablist while the crowd wanted to hear music with selector bawling out "who dont wear them friend clothes put up unu han", the people just stood and watched him like he was an alien or something
    promoters fail to read the crowd
    WOULDNT CONSIDER DAT A FLOP... LIKE U SAID, PROMOTA DEM BOOK HIM CAH DEM MUSSI DID FEEL HE WOULDA "SHELL DUNG" DI PLACE...
    Q-BERT IS NOT A JUGGLIN DJ, LIKE U SAID HES A TURNTABLIST. HE DOESNT JUGGLE OUT LIKE JAZZY JEFF... NOW HAD SUMONE BOOKED HIM AN PEEPLE STOOD UP DERE AN LOOKED AT HIM LIKE AN ALIEN, DEN...
    use a smaller image

I get a vibe from all styles...the only thing bout modern selecting that I dont really get and I blame the CDJ is the HOT CUE selectors who could never catch a riidim on time on vinyl if they had a desert eagle at they head...nuff button pressin "Zj's" I came up sprayin my 45's with water to makem sound clean still...dont get me wrong to stay in the game you gotta move with the times...I just perfer to use timecode vinyl and 1200's to deliver the message... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=srLWtBWq1do Beenie will tell it

Quote Originally Posted by dave6 View Post
    i began in the mid 90s and the same rule applied to most selectors then as well
    im from the laptop/pouchie era but was raised by old school minded selectors who told me never go in with no playlist

i watch and read de crowd and try shape de dance to weh i think the crowd want it to go

define string up, u talking with speaker box and amps as well, cuz most clubs dont allow you to come in with speakers and ampz and shit

but if you talking table top players and mixer, then i walk wid dat all day

Quote Originally Posted by DjCrash758 View Post
    define string up, u talking with speaker box and amps as well, cuz most clubs dont allow you to come in with speakers and ampz and shit

but if you talking table top players and mixer, then i walk wid dat all day

You'll find that the majority that are classed as a soundman do not live of a clubs as a means of getting dates. Their clients stem from customers who require a DJ to carry his or her own sound system. There may be a few clubs here and there where he or she may get hired to perform in a club in which a sound system is not necessary. However, those jobs are irrelevant based on his or her overall experience when catering for the masses.
    OMNIFEX

respect omni

understood, wasnt sure so was seeking clarification cuz like has been previously mentioned here, nuff man say dey big sound cuz they have dubs for example but playing in clubs and rae rae.....

bless