Sponsored Ad

Thread: LOW MID SECTION IN TOPS..

Default LOW MID SECTION IN TOPS..

I need a lil feedback on the Low Mid section in the end boxes..

I noticed People Building them Sealed chamber And some Still building them with a vent.

vented

I noticed EAW and Yorkville Is Also Sealed... Is there any Pro & Cons On Either Set up?
    OKAY Y2K RELOADED

With the box sealed it will always remain in phase however, you lose 50% of the bass.

With the box vented there is no bass lost but, your cabinets will go out of phase if you cross them too low.

What boxes have you seen from Yorkville & EAW that are sealed in the low midrange section? The only cabinet that is sealed from EAW is the KF 850 and that is nearly a 30-year-old design. None of the KF Series post dating the 850 is sealed and, the Yorkville's are not sealed. They will keep the midrange in a sealed chamber, but not the low midrange driver.
    OMNIFEX

2007, Jeff Kang, Custom Audio Incorporated

Quote Originally Posted by OMNIFEX View Post
    With the box sealed it will always remain in phase however, you lose 50% of the bass.

With the box vented there is no bass lost but, your cabinets will go out of phase if you cross them too low.

What boxes have you seen from Yorkville & EAW that are sealed in the low midrange section? The only cabinet that is sealed from EAW is the KF 850 and that is nearly a 30-year-old design. None of the KF Series post dating the 850 is sealed and, the Yorkville's are not sealed. They will keep the midrange in a sealed chamber, but not the low midrange driver.

Yea i was referring to the KF850 and i thought the Yorkville Tx Series was sealed.. Guess not. Im planning on going with the vented chamber was just asking..
    OKAY Y2K RELOADED

Bear in mind youíll need to make the enclosure big if you are making horn boxes. If you scale the cabinet smaller than the boxes you are currently using, you will get less bass.

Two KF 850ís perched on top of two scoops standing upright will be around 60 inches wide. Two scoops side to side is 48 inches wide. Iím not sure why you are concerned with low midrange with the cabinets you are currently using. They are supposed to offer more bass than your scoops.
    OMNIFEX

Bear in mind you’ll need to make the enclosure big if you are making horn boxes. If you scale the cabinet smaller than the boxes you are currently using, you will get less bass.

Two KF 850’s perched on top of two scoops standing upright will be around 60 inches wide. Two scoops side to side is 48 inches wide. I’m not sure why you are concerned with low midrange with the cabinets you are currently using. They are supposed to offer more bass than your scoops.
    I'm trying my tops 1 last time this weekend. If i'm not pleased i'll be forced to convert to 3 way tops.
    OKAY Y2K RELOADED

Why don’t you give me the cabinet dimensions, the tuning of the port and, the model number of the fifteen inch driver. I will be able to tell you the frequency response of your box.
    OMNIFEX

Why don’t you give me the cabinet dimensions, the tuning of the port and, the model number of the fifteen inch driver. I will be able to tell you the frequency response of your box.

The double 12's are 44"H 24"W 24"D jbl 2206h

The Double 15's are 48"H 24"W 24"D jbl 2226h

The ports are about 6" Deep
    OKAY Y2K RELOADED

Quote Originally Posted by WEBINTL View Post
    The double 12's are 44"H 24"W 24"D jbl 2206h

The Double 15's are 48"H 24"W 24"D jbl 2226h

The ports are about 6" Deep

A pic so u can have an idea
    OKAY Y2K RELOADED

I need the diameter of the port as well.
    OMNIFEX

Here is the response using the JBL 2226 by my tuning methods in your box.

I will need the diameter of the ports to calculate the response they are offering in your cabinet. There is a good chance the box is tuned too high or too low why you are having difficulty getting bass. I'll need to go to JBL's website and get the specifications for the 2206 since, I don't keep information on speakers smaller than 15 inches in my files.
    OMNIFEX

Here is the response using the JBL 2226 by my tuning methods in your box.

I will need the diameter of the ports to calculate the response they are offering in your cabinet. There is a good chance the box is tuned too high or too low why you are having difficulty getting bass. I'll need to go to JBL's website and get the specifications for the 2206 since, I don't keep information on speakers smaller than 15 inches in my files.
    The best i can give now is. The Slot is about 17" wide 6" deep and the vent area is 2 1/2"
    OKAY Y2K RELOADED

Based on what you gave me, here are the results:

The JBL 2226 using OMNI's tuning - 3.1 dB @ 40.9 Hertz

The JBL 2226 using the current tuning -3.1 dB @ 43.1 Hertz

The JBL 2206 using the current tuning -3.1 dB @ 92.3 Hertz

The JBL 2206 is more suited for horns. They are struggling with anything below 90 Hertz.

The difference between my tuning an the current tuning in the JBL 2226 isn't much.

Pending on where you have your cabinets crossed (Scoops, JBL 2226 and, the JBL 2206) will make a huge difference in the response. If it were me, I would have the starting point of the Scoops around 120 - 130 Hz, the JBL 2226 cut off around 45 Hertz and, the 2206 cut off around 140 Hertz. That type of overlap will bring forth more mid bass.

I will put up the photos shortly...
    OMNIFEX

JBL 2226 using OMNI's tuning - 3.1 dB @ 40.9 Hertz

JBL 2226 using the current tuning -3.1 dB @ 43.1 Hertz

JBL 2206 using the current tuning -3.1 dB @ 92.3 Hertz

OMNIFEX

This is how the crossover curves will look. As you can see, the JBL 2226 creates the overlap.

OMNIFEX

Omni Yuh TOO BADDDD,

Ill need some info like this soon..

Nuff respect

gracias... I'll fiddle with it
    OKAY Y2K RELOADED

i will play devil's advocate here and pose the question if u had a mid bass cab would u have the same problem? You would be moving the same amount of weight and boxes cause u have two dbl 12 and 2 dbl 15 in the column. Put those dbl 15 in a reflex cab and ur mid bass will kick ass. keep the 12 for high mid and tweeter.

Quote Originally Posted by Niahtone1 View Post
    i will play devil's advocate here and pose the question if u had a mid bass cab would u have the same problem? You would be moving the same amount of weight and boxes cause u have two dbl 12 and 2 dbl 15 in the column. Put those dbl 15 in a reflex cab and ur mid bass will kick ass. keep the 12 for high mid and tweeter.
    Or Just build Something similar to the first pic and call it a day!
    OKAY Y2K RELOADED

Quote Originally Posted by Niahtone1 View Post
    What Web have are reflex cabinets. They are no different than what you use for mid-bass (which is a reflex cabinet) with the exception of having a compression horn incorporated in the box. Reflex cabinets are designed to play any frequency within it's response.

A true mid-bass cabinet will limit itself at both ends ranging from mid-bass to midrange. What is listed below is a mid-bass box which doesn't require an electronic crossover to limit it's frequency response.

The other horns listed above are not mid bass cabinets. They a straight horns. They are designed for midrange on up. There are some straight horns that will offer a lot of bass but, they are much larger than the straight horns pictured in the first post.

The box below is a straight horn designed to go down to 48 Hertz on it's own. It is slightly smaller than your sonic 36s and weighs 50 pounds more.

The only ones who use mid-bass cabinets today are based in the UK
    OMNIFEX

It may be good to look at thread below if you want to build a low midrange cabinet.

http://forum.dancehallreggae.com/sho...d.php?t=190015
    OMNIFEX

Ok so i am really glad this thread came up as i have been debating this for weeks now. Omni, I plan to run 4 G-subs and i am looking for a mid top box that will be able to cross as low as the g-sub requires without having to build some HD 15's to put on top of them. what would you suggest as the best design. there is someone local to me that is selling the same design as the second pic that web posted (i think fatboys mid tops) but with a small vent at the bottom. Will these be a good match for the G-sub? also I did some box "redesigning" same reflex plan as the G-sub but slightly tweaked to better suit my drivers. I will send you my results in a pm to see if they are good or just a waste of time. Thanks for all your help.

When you create the design, send it to me and I'll look at it. You will need cabinets that can play bass on their own. This will give you the option to roll-off the bass where you want it. If you know how to build boxes, it doesn’t make sense buying cabinets from someone if you are uncertain they will fit your requirements.

If the person selling the boxes is not willing to give you one box to try on your system to hear if it meets your requirements, don’t buy them. If you are buying cabinets from a builder and he/she cannot tell you and guarantee the frequency response of the box, don’t buy them. Fatboy’s cabinets are designed for midrange. For G Subs it is good to build cabinets that use nothing smaller than fifteens to attain a proper balance.

I don’t recommend boxes for low-midrange anymore since many tend to cry about them being too big. Good low-midrange cabinets will need to be big or, bigger than the G Subs if you plan to house two fifteens in the one box. The easiest way to detect a strong low midrange is to turn off your bass bins, pick up the microphone and talk. If your voice sounds like it has no bass in which, is present when you turn on your bass cabinets, your low midrange is lacking.
    OMNIFEX

Good read keep up the good work guys!!

For those thinking about going the low-mid route, make sure you have power. Don't assume the same amplifier you are using for midrange is going to do it for low midrange. You will find your amplifier clipping faster because it not only needs to amplify midrange, but bass as well.
    OMNIFEX

Omni is the Orginal DHR Sound Guru! The man full a knowledge!

*I have learned some good stuff through out the years and this thread is a perfect example!

Thanks Omni, I will see if I can test one of the boxes first and I will send those designs to you shortly

Quote Originally Posted by EZE-954 View Post
    Omni is the Orginal DHR Sound Guru! The man full a knowledge!

*I have learned some good stuff through out the years and this thread is a perfect example!
    Same so...his input is di only reason a join dis forum....di man sawt out.

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit 6.2 View Post
    Same so...his input is di only reason a join dis forum....di man sawt out.

There are other sections you might find interesting. You can always go over to the passa passa side and sweet up some girl head if you need something...
    OMNIFEX

There are other sections you might find interesting. You can always go over to the passa passa side and sweet up some girl head if you need something...
    DWL....naa boss, mi already have Reggaemania.com fi dat.

I was searching di net fi info on rebuilding my system and I ended up in a thread from this forum....das when I realized seh nuff info deh ya and decide fi join-up di ting and ask few questions.
    Last edited by Biscuit 6.2; 01-13-2010 at 06:03 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Biscuit 6.2 View Post
    DWL....naa boss, mi already have Reggaemania.com fi dat.

I was searching di net fi info on rebuilding my system and I ended up in a thread from this forum....das when I realized seh nuff into deh ya and decide fi join-up di ting and ask few questions.

Fair enough.
    OMNIFEX