Sponsored Ad

Thread: Reports: 2010 NO VISA FOR MOST JAMAICAN ARTIST, DOOR BEING CLOSED

No Reports: 2010 NO VISA FOR MOST JAMAICAN ARTIST, DOOR BEING CLOSED

Music industry analyst Clyde McKenzie, who helped fashion the careers of dancehall stars Beenie Man, Tanto Metro and Devonte, told a December 22 Editors' Forum at The Gleaner's North Street offices, that recent incidents involving dancehall acts in Europe and North America have hurt the genre's image.

"The business model for entertainment has changed dramatically and the emphasis is now on touring. That is the most lucrative segment on the value chain.

"But more and more doors are closing on our artistes, and that is a significant problem," McKenzie commented

"The doors are being closed as far as immigration is concerned, whether it is the perception about violence or homophobia. You find that some Caribbean territories are refusing to have artistes from Jamaica on their soil," McKenzie said.

With record sales taking a dive due to the growing digital market, touring has become invaluable for Jamaican performers.

Those prospects were dealt a big blow recently in the US, which remains the most lucrative live-show market for many dancehall and traditional reggae acts.

In November, the United States citizens and immigration services announced stringent requirements for visa approval.

The new policy calls for artistes to present the duration and itinerary in order to be granted an 'O' (for solo artiste) or 'P' (for group) visa to tour the US.

Previously, performers applied for a work visa which, if granted, would cover the artiste for as long as three years.

According to Billboard magazine, British rapper 'Speech Debelle' did not meet the requirements of the new regime and was refused a visa to perform in the US in November.

Stay clear of controversy

McKenzie is concerned that the Economic Partnership Agreement, signed by the European Union and Caribbean countries in April 2008, may have similar implications if dancehall artistes do not stay clear of controversy.

Under the agreement, Cariforum states will have duty-free and quota-free access to all goods exported to the EU market, except for sugar, rice and bananas.

It also opens 94 per cent of the EU's services (including leisure) sector to the Caribbean.

"The Europeans are finding a number of reasons and setting up a number of different structures to prevent our artistes from going there," McKenzie said.

"So the days when a guy (artiste) had some immigration issues but a promoter had money to spend (to get them in the country), those days are gone because they (promoters) now have to be licensed."
    Last edited by fireblazing; 12-27-2009 at 10:15 PM.

I have yet to see that anywhere else except this aricle. O visa is three years renewable. The Brit rapper may just not have qualified for an O. Them h ave some character requirements associated.

Will Bownty Likka Become The Latest Member Of The Grace Thrillers?

cant fight the battyman dem ..inna dem own territory

.....tell unnuh alll the while stop fuck roun the battyman dem...... and chances are them will stop fuck roun yuh..... again no pun intended
    Last edited by scyaffy; 12-27-2009 at 10:10 PM.

SO PRMOTERS WILL HAVE TO BE LICENED????? ME THINK MOST ARTIST SOON MARRIED AND GET GREEN CARD AND LIVE A AMERICA, THE MUSIC AGO DEAD NOW, ME FEEL SAY KILLA GOT THE MEMO THATS WHY HIM A DEAL WITH PEACE A STING, SEEMS LIKE ITS THE SAME MEMO KARTEL AND VADO GOT, NO WONDER WHY THE MUSIC INDUSTRY SEEM SO SHAKY IN THE LAST FEW WEEK AND ARTIST STOP DISSING EACH OTHER

I don't see a problem with that still..I would hope promoters are licensed to begin with...too many shady deals be happening now n days...

hOW MANY PROMOTERS IN THE USA OR ANYWHERE BRINGING AN ARTIST TO A CLUB YOU KNOW HAVE A LICENSE???? DEM A TRY A LITTLE HUSTLE, CANT EVEN IMAGINE THE REQUIREMENTS FOR THEM TO OBTAIN A LICENSE, SOME ARTISTE AGO DEAD FI HUNGRY
    Quote Originally Posted by originalmadman View Post
    I don't see a problem with that still..I would hope promoters are licensed to begin with...too many shady deals be happening now n days...

Sad Eyes

Quote Originally Posted by fireblazing View Post
    SO PRMOTERS WILL HAVE TO BE LICENED????? ME THINK MOST ARTIST SOON MARRIED AND GET GREEN CARD AND LIVE A AMERICA, THE MUSIC AGO DEAD NOW, ME FEEL SAY KILLA GOT THE MEMO THATS WHY HIM A DEAL WITH PEACE A STING, SEEMS LIKE ITS THE SAME MEMO KARTEL AND VADO GOT, NO WONDER WHY THE MUSIC INDUSTRY SEEM SO SHAKY IN THE LAST FEW WEEK AND ARTIST STOP DISSING EACH OTHER
    YOU TO LOUD .........................SO IT GOES BACK TO THE 80'S BEFORE THE BIG HUB BUB REALLY STARTED ....MARRIED FOR GREEN CARD IS NOT GOIN AWAY AND IT HAS BEING STRONG FOR A WHILE NOW ... BUT BIG AND SERIOUS THESE ARTIST IN STEAD OF HAVING DICK MEASURING CONTEST SHOULD YEARS AGO HAVE GOTTEN A LEGAL TEAM TOGETHER TO DEAL WITH SEVERAL ISSUES 1 THE HOMOSEXUAL PROBLEM.........BUT I GUESS WE TOO INTO THE GULLY / GAZA ...MAN A BAD MAN THING TO CARE ABOUT THE PRODUCT.....................AND YES MONEY ARTIST MAKES IS FROM SHOWS IT ALWAYS HAS BEING LIKE THAT AND ALWAYS BEING PRODUCERS MAKE MORE MONEY FROM ROYALITIES EXAMPLE AIRPLAY......ETC....DOES LIL WAYNE HAVE A PROBLEM MAKING MONEY?? NO HE HAS BEING BOOKED AND HAS HIS OWN TOURS ........... ANY WAY 202 I AM OUT!!
    On My Grave They Will Write In

Green This Was Not A Man But A Fucking Machine!!!

hOW MANY PROMOTERS IN THE USA OR ANYWHERE BRINGING AN ARTIST TO A CLUB YOU KNOW HAVE A LICENSE???? DEM A TRY A LITTLE HUSTLE, CANT EVEN IMAGINE THE REQUIREMENTS FOR THEM TO OBTAIN A LICENSE, SOME ARTISTE AGO DEAD FI HUNGRY
    i dont think thay mean promoters in the us i think thay talking eroup and if thats the case what u might start have is a sub contracta type of thing where a few people do the booking for the promoters thats dont have there thing togather for a fee

Blog Entries

I've said this several time...
    DANCEHALL NEEDS A RUSSEL SIMMONS

as annoing as he may get he serves a purpose & gets results.
    dancehall does not have such a person/figure

we would have to pool together some group of icons like shaggy, jimmy cliff, the marleys, buj...

yu know wha.. figet it

Dis is not good at all

This is indeed sad news but their is a way for Artiste to survive this attempt to kill what we believe and live by.

(1)Producers should take their time and produce proper song.
    (2)Artiste need fi write proper tunes
    (3)Reduce the prices for DUBPLATES which would increase demand from both local and foreign sounds.

Amnyone has anymore suggestions???

Quote Originally Posted by Addies4Life View Post
    This is indeed sad news but their is a way for Artiste to survive this attempt to kill what we believe and live by.

(1)Producers should take their time and produce proper song.
    (2)Artiste need fi write proper tunes
    (3)Reduce the prices for DUBPLATES which would increase demand from both local and foreign sounds.

Amnyone has anymore suggestions???
    Some of u suggestions null and void cuz dem is fuckry. What dubplate haffi do wid dis??? Sometimes u haffi kno fi seperate certain tings.

Quote Originally Posted by CHRONIC View Post
    Some of u suggestions null and void cuz dem is fuckry. What dubplate haffi do wid dis??? Sometimes u haffi kno fi seperate certain tings.

Sir/Madam lol what happens when VISA isn't granted??? Where does artiste makes the most money ??? let me help you OVERSEAS.

If Sir/Madam these opportunities are taken away the FUCKING end result is a LACK OF MONEY.

Survival is what if referring too,how can you feed your family,how can you sustain yourself.........get the picture???

The reduction of dubplate prices will guaranteed MONEY if these privileges are taken away Sir/Madam.

Quote Originally Posted by Addies4Life View Post
    Sir/Madam lol what happens when VISA isn't granted??? Where does artiste makes the most money ??? let me help you OVERSEAS.

If Sir/Madam these opportunities are taken away the FUCKING end result is a LACK OF MONEY.

Survival is what if referring too,how can you feed your family,how can you sustain yourself.........get the picture???

The reduction of dubplate prices will guaranteed MONEY if these privileges are taken away Sir/Madam.
    Guh ova sound system wid dat cuz dubplate price nuh have nuttin fi do wid dis. all dem haffi do is stay outa trouble, mek some betta song, ie. stay away from gun lyrics and go about dem ting wid a business mind.

"Me read me own a scripture me nuh need nuh need no PREACHA, If you educate uself u nuh need nuh TEACHA"

"Dem ah watch, say dem ah watch. Siddung and ah wait, say dem ah wait....
    they wanna see us breakup, walk out, lose everyting we built" #FEB4

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by CHRONIC View Post
    Was scratching my head & wondering di same ting. How dem dubplate price a prevent dem from being granted a Visa, which is the matter at hand.

Blog Entries

fuck artist dem pay tax?
    most a dem go farrin hustle an no do shit but show off pon poor people....

how dem going over seas help jamaica? please help wid da one de
    SOCIAL MEDIA & D.H.R. ICON
    THE CHOSEN ONE
    HECKLERS INC FI LIFE !!!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Drew.....H.I.M. View Post
    fuck artist dem pay tax?
    most a dem go farrin hustle an no do shit but show off pon poor people....

how dem going over seas help jamaica? please help wid da one de
    yu nuh hear wha nearly reach beenie wha day?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mc View Post
    yu nuh hear wha nearly reach beenie wha day?
    mi hear him did owe...a ting.

but real simple the system suyppose work liek this if yu lef jamaica what is your iten and wen yu coem back yu pay thr govt yu tax....

entertainer cuss govt day and night and not one a fi dem $ can use fix road.
    THE CHOSEN ONE
    HECKLERS INC FI LIFE !!!

Blog Entries

Di whole a dem have big politician fren still

Blog Entries

Star mino feel it fi no artist cause

1-the pussy dem come si a system whe the elder dem set up and dem come eat off it and no put eeen shit.

Jamaican music has not had a broad appeal in YEARS the music being made is fi 14 parish, so mek dem stay de and dj inna ther 14 parish, dem no need farrin a no that dem love sey.

Is time jamaica set up a proper system to monitor the goings & comings of "ARTIST" who a mek dem living on foreign soil.. and tax out dem ras claaath to.
    Last edited by Drew.....H.I.M.; 12-28-2009 at 01:56 PM.
    THE CHOSEN ONE
    HECKLERS INC FI LIFE !!!

The worst thing is everytime somebody say stop calling the battyman dem name, a eadiot who no care bout the music jump up and say you a support battyman, now dem soon cannot travel, it sad to see the music decline so when you have any little man knock a few pan and record a song inna him bathroom and say a music. Me have to agree that gaza and gully mash up the music, dem need to ban all a dem to get a message across, remember when dem threaten to ban vado and addi in jamaica dem shake hand fast, from my observing it seems me can bring ras brromstick a europe and get the same result as addi and vado, the music gone

Quote Originally Posted by Drew.....H.I.M. View Post
    Star mino feel it fi no artist cause

1-the pussy dem come si a system whe the elder dem set up and dem come eat off it and no put eeen shit.

Jamaican music has not had a broad appeal in YEARS the music being made is fi 14 parish, so mek dem stay de and dj inna thr 14 parish dem dem no need farrin a no that dem love sey.

Is time jamaica set up a proper system to monitor the goingof coming of "ARTIST who a dem dem living on foreign soil.. and tax out dem ras claaath to.

Drewsland/Jamaica + Trinidad + B'dos + St. Lucia = West Indies

The worst thing is everytime somebody say stop calling the battyman dem name, a eadiot who no care bout the music jump up and say you a support battyman, now dem soon cannot travel, it sad to see the music decline so when you have any little man knock a few pan and record a song inna him bathroom and say a music. Me have to agree that gaza and gully mash up the music, dem need to ban all a dem to get a message across, remember when dem threaten to ban vado and addi in jamaica dem shake hand fast, from my observing it seems me can bring ras brromstick a europe and get the same result as addi and vado, the music gone
    yuh see it... annuh di music mek nuff a we fire bun gay suh di artiste dem fi more emphasize on promoting man to woman matching up if dem really anti-gay. wah mi nuh rate fi years is an artiste a come sey inna song bout how dem fire bun faggots..and will shoot faggot and all these things but dem as dem start clash smaddy..dem sey di person is a battyman.... now..if yuh opinion is that gay fi dead...why clash one lyrically -- one time mi inna a friendly soundclash in college and a soundboy come sey dat shit to mi....and all i said was.. "Me naah call yuh battyman because mi nuh know of you being like that....but if yuh a one...mi wouldn't deh a clash and inna nuh chat" --then play di sizzla -- "anyweh mi see dem a this mi gi dem.. GUnshot!!" .... not that mi try stress on fire bunning dem..but mi nuh see how yuh aguh sey yuh anti-gay but like inna clash with a man unnuh say. Is like dem wudda clash Elton John on a stage too. ...every artiste who clash are guilty of this and mi nuh rate it with none. If dem anti-gay -- focus on bigging up the act of fucking pumpum. ....a this mi rate kartel for eenuh.... him just promote di cocky-to-pumpum 100% and a dat mi rather hear. di artiste dem a flex liek babylon with dem dutty cigarette....Don't smoke but dem a show cigarette fi advertise it same way.... damn reverse psychology