Sponsored Ad

Thread: Mutabaruka Speaks Out

Default Mutabaruka Speaks Out

http://www.jamaica-star.com/thestar/.../ent/ent1.html

MUTABARUKA WAS IN a no-nonsense mood on Tuesday night as he chastised both fellow Rastafarians and the media, accusing them of pushing only the negative aspects of our music.

The dub poet was the speaker at the launch of Garnett Silk's 'Earthday Celebration' at the Livity Vegetarian Restaurant on Old Hope Road in Kingston. While not defining what he thinks is 'positive expression,' Mutabaruka hinted that the lewdness and materialism in the music was not healthy for children.

He opened his talk with a report he saw while in the United States last week, he said. Mutabaruka said some youths in the United States were planning a march against the media and the 'negative expression' of hip-hop and the effect the music had on young minds. He added that one youngster in particular had done a survey on content of the songs and found that they were not anti-white nor anti-Semitic. However, words such as bch, Nger, and 'hoes' featured prominently.

It was from that beginning that he moved to the work of Garnett Silk and the lyrical content of some of the artistes, especially those whom he said were supposed to be rastafarians.

"We know we could always hear something emotional and compassionate from Garnett Silk. Most of the popular songs now, even from the Rastas, are not much to write home about. If yuh listen to some a dem music it better yuh go listen to gospel," he said.

He then referred to a statement by singer Sabrina Williams, which said that most of our current popular songs, especially those played on radio, glorified lewdity and materialism.

"From two to six in the evenings is like a war against positive music. Yuh caan hear nutten positive pon most a di station dem... Yuh have certain man weh stan' up fi positive tings an a fi dem music mek Jamaica, Jamaica," he said.

"Whe me a see is that the media not helping youths like Garnett Silk. It is incumbent on media personalities to listen every single piece a music him get before him put it pon air and stop play someting because a certain man do it," he said. "The music is in a rut and is like artiste against positive expression. Mi nuh see some Rasta a do no different from whe Shabba Ranks and Ninja Man used to get bun fah. Because yuh popular, dem jump up fi yuh."

He further added that music did influence people. He said most people in the world were unaware of the existence of either Prime Minister P.J. Patterson or Opposition Leader Edward Seaga but everyone knew Bob Marley. He added that the media needed to highlight the work of singers who did positive music.

"When yuh tell a yute dis and a yute cannot afford wha yuh a talk 'bout what him going to do? Him going to create mischief," Mutabaruka said frankly.

He commented that no one was fighting against music. Rather, people wanted to hear positive expressions. He went on to chastise the disc jockeys for failing to play the work of women.

However, he said his best criticism for last.

"Two a di Rasta dem wha supposed to be righteous, a fi dem song a di most popular song in a nightclub. It so popular so till the girl dem in a club a dance to it... When a man a talk bout 'Pump Up Har PP' wha him mean? Him seh Hail Selassie cock up woman. How Selassie reach in a him bedroom?" he asked.

He closed by asking the Broadcasting Commission to implement more stringent measures to protect the younger generation, since a child only needed to hear a song four times to pass it on to a younger age group.

I love Mutabaruka because he tells it like it is! I've been following him from his first album all the way up to the latest (Life & Debt). You don't have to agree with him, but one must respect his ability to be blunt & no-nonsense. Check out People's Court Pt 1 & Pt. 2

well, most folks caan deal wid the truth..that is why dem nah come in this post...large up muta....

U Can Hate if you want 2, but u wasting ya TIME!

Kings County, NYC or in Transit wid JAhsun Unlimit

Default FOR REAL!

MUTABRUKA FI PM!

Dis man always tell it like it is. Nuh hold back no punches.

Yep Capelton and SIzzla need fi tek sum more lessons from him.

JJP would luv fi hear his opinions on Jah Cure.

Capelton and Sizzla need fi tek a time out from de bizness and tek dem 40 dayz and vibz again.

me luv Muta too.
    Why does everyone wanna go one like rasta nah have sex? sure dem man coulda ease up the lyrics on some of their tunes, but we like a good slam too.
    Haffi burn out da battyman and Uplift natural relations between man and woman.

me nah know bout dat church business.

And I did say:
    "sure dem man coulda ease up the lyrics on some of their tunes"

No my kingman doesn't need a tune fi know how to be a good worker.

I still say Upliftment sameway.