PDA

View Full Version : BIG PLANS FI JAMAICA, MI WANT SEE THIS HAPPEN

blessedseed
April 28th, 2004, 10:14 AM
BWOUY DIS LOOKS APPEALING AND MI WOULD LOVE FI VISIT THE PLACE WHEN IT'S MANIFESTED, SEEMS PRESTIGOUS AND I THINK IS A GOOD IDEA FI BUILD UP JAMAICA, IT WILL MEK ALL THE BIG MOVIE STAR WANT FI FEEL THE WARMTH AND LUXURY OF OUR BEAUTIFUL ISLAND, I THINK IS A GOOD MOVE BY PJ. READ THE STORY BELOW.

PM unveils billion-dollar project for Trelawny

Observer Reporter
Wednesday, April 28, 2004

A model of the $72-billion Harmony Cove development.

Prime Minister P J Patterson yesterday announced what sources say is a $72-billion tourism development, the size and scope of which is expected to eclipse the record-setting Highway 2000 project and fully cement Jamaica internationally as a destination for the ultra-rich and socially-connected.

The new centrepiece project, called Harmony Cove, has been more than a year in planning by development banker, Kingsley Thomas, the prime minister's right-hand man who, the Observer understands, has had rounds of secret meetings with big industry players and interested financiers both here and abroad.

To be spread across some 1,400 acres of prime north coast lands, acquired by Thomas, between Silver Sands and Braco in Trelawny, the development will feature four five-star hotels, including a 1,000-room edifice, 11 exclusive manor homes on five-acre lots (going for an estimated US$10 million each), 88 villas, 60 condominiums, three golf courses, shops, a magnificent waterfall descending into a town square, and a private international airport.

Harmony Cove, Patterson said, would put Jamaica ahead of the competition in luxury vacations, and offer an "experience unparalleled in the Caribbean".

Kingsley Thomas
Jamaica already has a name in luxury tourism in elegant resorts such as Tryall, Round Hill, Half Moon, and Ritz Carlton Rose Hall, but this new development, according to the prime minister, will allow the industry "to capture a major spot at the top end of the international tourism market".

A total of 2005 new hotel rooms are proposed, as well as 95,000 square feet of convention space, a spa, and beach club, a 300-slip mega yacht marina and boardwalk, and a small man-made island just off-shore the two-miles (3.2 km) of beach frontage.

The feasibility of an 8,000-foot runway at the old Braco airstrip is now being assessed, according to Observer sources, to allow Harmony's guests and owners exclusive and direct access.

The development, in the low-key parish of Trelawny, Jamaica's safest, is to be complemented with heritage tourism development in Falmouth, a plan that has been in train for more than a decade. The Development Bank of Jamaica, which Thomas heads, will also be taking over that project.

Patterson said yesterday that Harmony was ready to go, and that advertisements for joint venture partners would be run locally and internationally this week.

"Within international tourism circles many things cannot be kept secret for too long," he quipped, noting that the timing of the project's unveiling was linked to strong interest from financiers, hotel chains, and construction companies wanting a piece of the project.

The total Harmony Cove package will take at least US$1.2 billion or more to develop, and already more than J$30 million has been spent on the planning, according to informed sources.

It is also expected to generate 16,000 or more jobs over the life of the project.

Thomas last year hired Leisure and Hospitality Design International Limited, whose Ken Shannon has led the design team to produce the master plan - referred to yesterday by the Prime Minister - with assistance from MSI Design, MODE Architects of Jamaica, and Think Creative Inc.

At a press conference today, the prime minister will unveil an eight-by-five-foot model of Harmony Cove, and spell out more details of the project on which DBJ and National Housing Trust are collaborating. Thomas, who is chairman of the NHT, has already set up a company, Harmonisation Limited, to manage the project.

The joint partner, once selected, will be responsible for finding investors for the hotels, and buyers for the villas and luxury homes, and overseeing their construction.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/html/20040428T000000-0500_59133_OBS_PM_UNVEILS_BILLION_DOLLAR_PROJECT_F OR_TRELAWNY.asp

Menke
April 28th, 2004, 11:14 AM
I'm not so impressed, all of the little developement the government is putting out always goes to the Eastern Parishes, St Mary, Portland and St Thomas looks like they're still in the slavery days, fuck PGay!:ak47:
Look how white people currupt Jamaica already, wi nuh wah nuh more a dat, the economy is too dependent on tourism and still wi nuh si weh di money go...

h00dini
April 28th, 2004, 11:19 AM
Originally posted by Menke
the economy is too dependent on tourism and still wi nuh si weh di money go...

And what do you suggest they should replace the main engine of the economy with?

45jack
April 28th, 2004, 11:20 AM
Its about time they do something that would look more appealing as far as an hotel is concern, shit the hotel in bahamas named atlantis make every hotel in jamaica look like a cheap motel.

Menke
April 28th, 2004, 11:22 AM
Not saying tourism can't be the main engine, just that Jamaica shouldn't depend on it alone, remember how dem did a bawl when Town did inna war bout nuh more tourisn nah guh come...

Mr Gavin
April 28th, 2004, 11:22 AM
I think they should have a clause in the contract that states that for a private enterprise to benefit from this development they have to adopt a public school in their area. Man dem a focus pan riches an nah focus pan di yute dem.

h00dini
April 28th, 2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by Mr Gavin
I think they should have a clause in the contract that states that for a private enterprise to benefit from this development they have to adopt a public school in their area.

Better yet, it should be a foreign/local joint venture so that the profits can be reiinvested in the local economy, and wealth doesn't just get repatriated abroad.

h00dini
April 28th, 2004, 11:29 AM
Not saying tourism can't be the main engine, just that Jamaica shouldn't depend on it alone

That's fine...you should never put all your eggs in one basket...but what else does Jamaica have? (Don't say reggae).

They have sun, sand, and water in spades, and it doesn't cost them a thing. Bauxite is an exhaustable resource, and the mining operations are owned by foreign companies anyway...etc, etc.

MR HYPE
April 28th, 2004, 11:40 AM
Its about time yall pave and broaden them itsy bitsy passage ways wha yall call roads!

Menke
April 28th, 2004, 11:44 AM
Originally posted by hoodini
That's fine...you should never put all your eggs in one basket...but what else does Jamaica have? (Don't say reggae).

They have sun, sand, and water in spades, and it doesn't cost them a thing. Bauxite is an exhaustable resource, and the mining operations are owned by foreign companies anyway...etc, etc.

I see countries with even lesser resourses than JA going into other things, we should use Trinidad as an example...yuh also right bout the mining operation ownership, thats why I say we need to get rid of the people who sold out the country to the point where nothing in Jamaica is owned by Jamaica...I think if the government looks hard enough they will find something just like Trinidad has...

simi
April 28th, 2004, 11:52 AM

I see countries with even lesser resourses than JA going into other things, we should use Trinidad as an example...yuh also right bout the mining operation ownership, thats why I say we need to get rid of the people who sold out the country to the point where nothing in Jamaica is owned by Jamaica...I think if the government looks hard enough they will find something just like Trinidad has...

Trinidad has OIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! far more valuable than tourism and bauxite if you ask me

what the governemnt needs to do (IMO) is to invest in its intellectual capital - its people. Every other resource can be found elsewhere. a country with highly educated and hard working ppl has a unique resource because intellectual capital cannot be easily duplicated

now the main problem is how the hell they are going to acheive that. we need money that we don't have to achieve that objective

simi
April 28th, 2004, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by MR HYPE
Its about time yall pave and broaden them itsy bitsy passage ways wha yall call roads!

please keep in mind that we are a developing/third world country

it takes MONEY to "pave and broaden the itsy bitsy passages" :rolleyes:

and i don't know when was the last time you came to jamaica but MAJOR development in our roads has taken place. the goernment can do only so much and no more at any particular time

Menke
April 28th, 2004, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by simi

Trinidad has OIL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! far more valuable than tourism and bauxite if you ask me

Yea and they put out some effort in finding it...if Jamaica had oil they wouldn't know because the government spends all its time lusting off tourism money...five years of recession then going ahead by only 0.8% in 2002 is fucking embarassing third world country or not...

h00dini
April 28th, 2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by simi

what the governemnt needs to do (IMO) is to invest in its intellectual capital - its people. Every other resource can be found elsewhere. a country with highly educated and hard working ppl has a unique resource because intellectual capital cannot be easily duplicated

Not enough...they still need industry (service, etc.) where those people can work, otherwise the well-educated will leave the country and go somewhere they can put their skills to use, and continue the brain drain. For example, India has a well-educated populace, that is able to put their skills to work in the ever-growing back-office support sector. If they didn't have all this investment, those people would be underutilized, and would emigrate...

gargamel
April 28th, 2004, 01:48 PM
PJ a pimp the country to the tourist. Government need to stop selling away land to tourist. Look how the ozone in America fuck up. Invest into the school system, and follow after zimbabwe and take back the land an money from the present colonizers.

Menke
April 28th, 2004, 04:51 PM
Originally posted by gargamel
PJ a pimp the country to the tourist. Government need to stop selling away land to tourist. Look how the ozone in America fuck up. Invest into the school system, and follow after zimbabwe and take back the land an money from the present colonizers.

Same ting mi seh gargamel...

mention23
April 28th, 2004, 05:11 PM
well PJ haffi find a way to secure him retirement.

sorry fi all who nuh have cause it is only going to get worst.

everyone here is confused and your statements are only speculations.

Jamaica gone to the dogs

Iakona
April 28th, 2004, 05:13 PM
the plan coulda work...but only jah know how long it would take for it to finish built.

~Gemini~
April 28th, 2004, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by gargamel
, and follow after zimbabwe and take back the land an money from the present colonizers.
WOW
I hope your joking

h00dini
April 28th, 2004, 05:58 PM
Originally posted by mention23
everyone here is confused and your statements are only speculations.

hmmm...i don't remember seeing any "speculations"

bushbaby
April 28th, 2004, 05:59 PM
http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/images/20040428T000000-0500_59133_OBS_PM_UNVEILS_BILLION_DOLLAR_PROJECT_F OR_TRELAWNY_1.jpg
A model of the $72-billion Harmony Cove development.

blessedseed
April 28th, 2004, 06:00 PM
Its about time they do something that would look more appealing as far as an hotel is concern, shit the hotel in bahamas named atlantis make every hotel in jamaica look like a cheap motel.

Lokk how Pretty Jamaica is, Jamaica should stand out betta than the other carribean country yes, whenever I watch tv and dem a talk how the Rich and Famous travel the carribean, Dem always a Talk bout Bahamas and Atlantis, Jamaica fi come blow dat whe satr, what we really have fi show and bragg bout as far as luxury and 5 star hotels, I welcome the development, and will visit it when it build, good place fi go when mi retire, probably spend mi honeymoon dey too neva know, This will build the economy
So why go against it, it will mek Jamaica get more recognistion and welcome tourist fi visit, cause unuh all know say jamaica have the biggest crime rate and dat run way the ppl dem from visiting. I see this as a good move still.
Any thing that will uplift and betta my country, I respect and applaud it.

socrates
April 28th, 2004, 06:23 PM
Such a development bring sunshine to the horizon but there are a few things I would like to know:

1. How much local contractors/builders will be involved and what % of the work will they do?

2. Are there plans to involve the local micro-tourism sect?

3. How will the impact on the natural environment be controlled?

On another note, I do agree with an aforementioned post that Jamaica needs to diversify its income stream. I think a lot can be done in biopharmaceuticals, mineral explorations (Jamaica is rich in minerals) and transforming several manufacturing by-products into economic viable and potentially export items. e.g. "The Red Mud Lake" that contains waste material from bauxite processing should be "chemically" investigated for some worthiness. Wether it's for recyclable chemicals or for chemicals that can be used in other industries.